February 8, 2011

Before and After


It's been about a year since I moved in with GP and we're still figuring out how to best use our space together. We've done a pretty good job with furniture diplomacy, but one tough area is our small dining room, which is really more of an entrance hall. I hate to have the dining table be a dumping area for mail, keys and whatnot, so we used this magazine rack instead. With all the other random things that ended up on the shelf, it also provided a full-frontal junk assault for our guests as soon as they walked in the door. A sampling of the shelf's treasures: extra umbrellas, my tax receipts (I have no desk), flashlights, fridge parts, many pennies, VHS tapes (yes, VHS tapes), a dust mitt -- and that doesn't include what we kept on the top. When we had people to dinner, we moved it to the other room in order to add the leaf to the table. For days after, we avoided moving it back, because the room was so nice without it.

So tonight we got rid of it! You can see my solution on the right: His and Hers mailboxes.

PS: Yes, I still have to find appropriate homes for a lot of the stuff, but I started, right?

No comments: